Many women pay top dollar to get an ultra-sleek salon blow-out. A great salon blow-out creates luxurious foundation for any style and adds polish to hair, which seems impossible to replicate at home. But impossible it is not! With these easy expert tips and the right products, you’ll be blow-drying like a (Redken) pro in no time!
TOOLS YOU’LL NEED:
* Wide-tooth comb to evenly disperse product and untangle hair
* Round medium-sized boar bristle brush or nylon/boar bristle combination brush to help blow-dry sections.
* Blow-dryer with an ionic feature to seal in the cuticle and lock in moisture for high sheen (not recommended for fine hair). Get one that has at least 2 heat settings: high heat for initial drying, low heat for finishing.
–Make sure your blow-dryer has sufficient voltage and a nozzle for a controlled, polished finish.
* A flat iron creates a sleeker, smoother finish and keep ends from curling under. If you choose to use a flat iron after you blow-dry, use on hair after completely dried and make sure it has ceramic plates to diffuse heat with maximum results and less damage.
EASY STEPS FOR THE PERFECT BLOW-OUT:
1) Apply a blow-dry product, like Redken satinwear 02 blow-dry lotion or straight 05 straightening balm to hair and use a wide tooth comb to evenly disperse product.
– To add volume and substance to fine hair, try thickening lotion 06 body builder.
– For maximum lift at the roots, apply guts 10 volume spray foam.
– For unruly hair, try align 12 ultra-straight balm.
2) Blast-dry hair on high heat until 80% dry, working from the scalp to the ends using fingers to disperse heat throughout the hair.
– For added volume at the roots, turn hair upside down while drying 80% using a boar’s head bristle brush.
3) Clip hair into 3 sections: 2 on the sides and 1 in the back.
4) Blow-dry each section one inch at a time using a thick, medium-sized boar bristle brush and low heat.
– Use the nozzle on your blow-dryer to keep the airflow pointed down the hair strand to prevent unwanted fly-aways that can be exacerbated from humidity.
5) For each section, start drying hair at the scalp and then move down to the mid-length of hair. When the mid-length is dry, finish the ends.
– For ultimate heat-styling protection, try spritzing Redken fabricate 03 heat-active texturizer on each section to create texture and dimension with added heat protection.
– To avoid your arms from getting tired, make sure to keep both your elbows at shoulder level, and use your wrists and lower arm to move the brush and dryer. And if you need to, take a break in between sections.
6) To finish the look, touch up each section with a flat iron (for added heat protection, re-apply fabricate 03 heat-active texturizer on each section before flat iron use).
– For additional control and frizz-free shine on your night out on the town, finish with forceful 23 super strength finishing spray to keep that blow-dried perfection all night long.
7) Before heading out, spritz on some vinyl glam 02 mega-shine spray for instant gloss and a glam finish!
To add even more movement and bounce to this already sleek blow-out, “Roll two velcro rollers in the front two sections of your hair after your blow-dry is complete,” suggests Redken session stylist, Patricia Morales. “While the rollers are in place, apply your makeup. Then, let the rollers down and you’ll have beautiful waves with extra movement and lift in the front and you’re ready to go – a trick I often do when styling Demi Moore’s hair.” (Lucky you!)
You Might Also LOVE
Latest posts by Shannon Smyth (see all)
- Any Time of Year Can be Your “January” to Kick Off Your Weight Loss Journey - January 10, 2018
- Which Type of Protein Powder is Best? - January 1, 2018
- 5 Tips to Lose Weight Right Now - December 29, 2017