The summer can be both your skin’s best friend and worst enemy. Although it feels great, the sun may be doing a lot more damage than you realize. By adjusting your skincare for the season – choosing the right skincare products and regimes – you can ensure this summer leaves you with glowing, soft and clear skin, as well as avoiding any long-term wear and tear.
1. Finding a sunscreen with vitamins, minerals or anti-oxidants will ensure your skin is well nourished.
2. Failing that, using an antioxidant serum underneath sunscreen acts as an extra protective layer – we recommend looking out for those containing white tea.
3. Don’t put everything on the SPF number, the actual difference from SPF 15 onwards is not as large as you’d expect; the most important thing is to apply sunscreen at regular intervals, particularly if you’re keeping busy or taking a dip. Don’t be fooled into thinking that a high SPF is going to keep you covered all day.
4. Don’t neglect your lips either, it’s important to find a lip balm with adequate sun protection.
5. Although sunscreen may make you feel greasy, the sun and salty sweat will be dramatically drying out your skin so it’s important for your complexion to keep the skin moisturized day and night. Those with dry skin should pay particular attention to their moisturizing regime – try to find moisturizers with natural ingredients and make sure you leave on a layer of moisturizer long enough to penetrate skin deeply.
6. If you are susceptible to oily skin then don’t be fooled into thinking this step is unnecessary – simply look for an oil-free moisturizer; one labelled ‘noncomedogenic’ won’t clog your pores. Those with oily skin might also find blotting papers useful for controlling the shine, and try leaving your makeup brushes out in the sun in order to dry-out any excess oil and bacteria.
7. The summer heat can cause inflamed skin in all its forms; acne, sunburn and rashes for instance. A soothing facial mask used once a week can help your skin recuperate from these effects.
8. Keep skin healthy from the inside-out in the tastiest way possible, with a regular summer fruit smoothie. Berries – blueberries, blackberries and cranberries for instance – contain antioxidants that neutralize the skin-damaging free radicals generated from UV exposure and help the body produce collagen which helps smooth the skin. Watermelons, pineapples and carrots are also fantastic for smoothies, helping to nourish and moisturize skin from the inside.
9. Make sure you wash your skin well in the evening to remove any unnecessary toxin build-up that could damage your skin overnight. Using a good exfoliator is particularly important over summer, as it will help remove any dead skin that can clog your pores and cause outbreaks. A salicylic acid based cleanser is a gentle option that will also help combat acne. However, try not to overdo the exfoliator, particularly if you’re prone to skin irritation; one to three times a week should do it.
10. Using a good toner will also help restore the skin’s pH balance; avoiding the growth of unwanted bacteria.
Latest posts by Shannon Smyth (see all)
- 9 Skills for Transformation of Mind and Body to Live More Abundantly - June 16, 2017
- Teen Acne Treatment On-the-Go with OXY - June 14, 2017
- IT Cosmetics Summer Kick-Off Giveaway - May 29, 2017