Crow’s feet here. Fine lines there. Deeper wrinkles over here. Acne scars and other flaw-inducing issues right there. Each of us has one reason or another as to why we look aged when wearing makeup. I forever listened to friends prior to launching this beauty blog say how important a good skin care routine is to prime your skin, but also how beneficial primer was as a sort of camouflage for imperfections. I became a believer over the years when I saw what a difference it made, oftentimes even making me look younger than I really am. (Always a plus!)
If you’re still unsure what the benefits are of adding yet another step in your beauty routine, here’s 4 reasons why you should be priming your skin:
1. Hydration: Old school primers used to dry out your skin, but those days have passed and today’s skin primers add a dose of hydration to your skin. As you know, in order to look healthy, your skin needs to maintain proper hydration levels to avoid looking dehydrated or sullen.
2. Blurring the lines of wrinkles and skin imperfections: This has got to be my favorite aspect of using a primer. The appearance of wrinkles are instantly softened due to light reflecting technology in skin priming products. True, the actual fine lines and wrinkles are not truly gone, but no one will realize you had them in the first place…except maybe you and the mirror.
3. Plumping: Many skin primers include micro-fillers that work to plump wrinkles from the inside out. And don’t forget a lash primer! Mascara is often drying, causing lashes to be brittle and break easily. Also, so many of us try to use a mascara that both thickens and lengthens. With a lash conditioner/primer, it will automatically protect and give the appearance of thicker lashes, making them look more voluminous when you later apply your mascara.
4. Gives the appearance of youthful skin: Hydration, wrinkle blurring, conditioning and plumping; you can see why you’d instantly gain a more youthful appearance. This is reason enough to add skin priming to your beauty routine. Yes, it is another step and yes, it means buying more products, however it doesn’t mean it needs to break the bank.
For the last several weeks, in addition to my usual eye shadow primer and concealing face primer (for skin discoloration), I’ve also been using Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Eye Cream & Lash Serum Duo ($15.99), as well as Olay Regenerist Advanced Anti-Aging Wrinkle Revolution Complex ($25.99). The biggest issues with my skin are the fine lines around and under my eyes, as well as the deeper wrinkles on my forehead.
As pictured above, the Lash Duo has unique packaging, with the lash serum on one side and the Micro-Sculpting Eye Cream on the other. While both tubes appear small, you honestly don’t need much of each product to get the job done. It is designed to treat lids, lines, and lashes for younger looking eyes. The eye cream smoothes and firms the appearance of lids and softens the appearance of fine lines, while the lash serum instantly thickens and nourishes lashes. The thickening is from coating the lashes, however it will not grow or lengthen them.
As I mentioned, a skin priming product that blurs skin imperfections is a must-have. The Wrinkle Revolution Complex has a blend of three different-sized light manipulating particles (or micro fillers) that fill the valleys between fine lines and wrinkles to remove the shadowing that creates the contrast of a wrinkle. So while wrinkles still exist, those looking at you don’t see it that way. This product also hydrates with peptides, humectants and vitamins. Hydration is key for healthy looking skin.
Both the eye cream and wrinkle cream glide on smoothly and works well with the other primers I already use to treat other skin issues. In the below picture, I was wearing Olay products–notice how smooth my skin looks! Oh, and the fact that I don’t look old enough to have a almost 15 year old son…maybe? Yes, there’s a filter on the picture for light, but there is no photoshopping of my face (or me in general.)
Do you include skin priming into your beauty routine? I’d love to hear about it!
Subscribe to A Girl’s Gotta Spa! for more beauty reviews! Watch our reviews on YouTube, see our pins on Pinterest and check us out on Instagram and G+. Got a Kindle? We’re on Kindle too! Shannon on G+
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Olay through their partnership with POPSUGAR Select. While I was compensated to write a post about Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Eye Cream & Lash Serum Duo and Regenerist Wrinkle Revolution Complex, all opinions are my own.
You Might Also LOVE
Latest posts by Shannon Smyth (see all)
- How to Get Rid of Chapped Lips Fast - July 19, 2017
- Tips to Enhance Skin’s Natural Glow This Summer - June 27, 2017
- 9 Skills for Transformation of Mind and Body to Live More Abundantly - June 16, 2017